Every couple comes to a point when both want different things. When we reach that point, we have three options:
- Argue your point and why it’s better
- Give in to what your partner wants
- Both of you compromise
To come to a compromise, both parties need to be willing to work together. It takes an open mind to consider the possibilities and self-sacrifice if you want to please your partner. Below are some basic steps to reaching a compromise:
- Start with the right tone. Don’t come off attacking or irritated.
- Find a common ground. Don’t focus on what you and your partner disagree on but what areas you are similar.
- Brainstorm some new ideas for you and your partner to decide on.
- Be willing to change your mind. Sometimes changing your mind becomes the best decision and you love what you thought you never would.
Some examples from my own life now to show areas where either my husband or myself has made a compromise. Let me first explain that me and my husband are complete opposites but we complement each other very well.
- We have different tastes in music. I couldn’t stand his so he gave mine a chance. Now he loves the same music so there are no issues.
- My husband loves computer games and I’m usually too busy to play them or care for them. He waits until the kids are asleep to play so he’s not leaving me when I need his help or want to get out. And I make sure to get the kids to bed early enough so he has time to play.
- I love taking pictures of the things I love but always end up missing from them. My husband hates being in pictures. So he will ask others to take the picture for us so I am in them and he gets passed his annoyance of photos so I am happy with the photos we got.
- My husband alway leaves his clothes in the bathroom and I used to continually ask him to bring it back to the room and put in a basket. Now we have a small clothes hamper in the bathroom and that’s pretty much always his clothes so no pre sorting.
I know there are probably more but I can’t think of many cuz we have always found a solution.
Let me know in the comments of this helped you or seems to be true or not for you. 😊